Search THE READING ROOM

Friday, June 4, 2010

A-1 advice from an author

A few months ago we had a distinguished guest at Commits: Anjum Hasan, poet, writer, communications consultant, now books editor of The Caravan magazine, and author of the two popular novels Lunatic In My Head and Neti, Neti.

Anjum had a long session with the First Years where she talked about her work and about fiction-writing in general. She also read a few excerpts from Neti, Neti. The two hours went by so quickly that there was no time at the end for some of the questions that the students had for Anjum. So we sent her the questions by email and she very graciously answered each of them:

Hi Ramesh,

Here are my answers to your questions. I don't have all the answers, of course, not even most of them. But it's always fun to participate in any conversation about writing. Thanks for the opportunity!

Anjum

  • FROM PADMINI NANDY MAZUMDER
a. Why don't you write your stories in the first person?
I don't usually use the first person; it helps to write in the third person to see your characters more objectively. Unless all your stories are about yourself (which they ideally should not be) I would recommend avoiding first person. Even if the story is about yourself, use third person to see how it sounds - there'll be lots of things that seem perfectly convincing in first person but silly in third person.

b. How much research goes into your characters? For instance, their jobs (Sophie's job as a “sub-titler” in Neti, Neti), the way their homes are decorated, etc.
It's not as much research as curiosity. As a writer, you're often dying to know what people's lives are like and if you can't imagine them, then you have to find out.

  • FROM SHIVRAM SUJIR
When you develop characters like Sophie, you tend to get under their skin, you tend to "become" them. Does it take you very long then to cast them off and become yourself again?
I'm quite happy staying with characters, and when I finish with one I can't wait to get into the skin of another. I would get quite desperate if I had to spend all my time with myself!

  • FROM SNEHA ABRAHAM
It's common knowledge that true writers are never satisfied with what they have written. How did you come to the conclusion that the material in your two novels was the best you could publish? Or, where did you draw the line and say, "That's it, this is what I'm going to publish"?
I think there is a creative dissatisfaction and a non-creative one. The creative one allows you to let go of one book but write the next one so you can test yourself all over again. The non-creative one makes you hold on to one text for too long. I think it's good to be dissatisfied and self-critical but not to the extent that it cripples you. Also the opinions of others - editors, writers, readers - do matter. So if they feel a book is ready to go, perhaps it is. But as writers we continue writing books because we're searching for that elusive perfection.

  • FROM NAMRATA C.
a. Is there a discipline of writing and reading I have to develop every day if I want to be a writer?
Like I said at the talk, fiction writing is driven by passion and pleasure. Discipline comes afterwards. The only good reason to write is because you desperately want to. If this is your starting point, the discipline will follow. Yes it can be hard to switch on your computer and stare at a blank screen but that's the risk you have to take.

b. I have only recently taken up reading and I find it very difficult to write. I have problems writing simple news reports and features. Is there a solution?
I think reading is a great teacher. So do keep up with that even if it goes slowly. As for writing, practice and persistence. How about keeping a diary and recording your daily impressions and thoughts? Or writing down what you thought about a book. Or running a blog. Doing this more personal kind of writing might help you with other kinds. Also, when you're starting out don't be afraid to imitate. One learns through imitation and slowly develops one's own style.

c. Do you suggest any must-reads, e.g. Jane Austen and Thomas Hardy, which will help me improve my style?
There are no must-reads, though the classics are classics because they've stood the test of time so you will only gain by reading them. But go with your instinct. If you liked one kind of book, maybe you could read more books in the same style/genre. Read reviews - you don't have to agree with everything a reviewer says but at least they'll give you some sense of what a book is about.

d. Any other suggestions you would like to give me to improve my reading and writing skills? Thank you for your time.
Don't be afraid of criticism - use it constructively. And writing is a process. If you write a little every day, eventually it'll all add up.

*
That’s excellent advice from Anjum, all of it. And we’re very grateful to her for making the time to come to Commits and for answering the students’ questions in such detail. 

No comments:

Post a Comment