Search THE READING ROOM

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

What is the need to turn the air blue?

I don't use abusive language in my personal or professional life. The F-word does pop up in my mind on rare occasions but I make sure it doesn't pop out of my mouth. I don't think that makes me a puritan or especially noble far from it; this is a personal choice, nothing more.

Having said that, I have to say I am not sure I understand the need to turn the air blue. For many people, young and old, men and women, using swear words is perhaps like breathing. It is so natural that they are possibly not aware they're doing it. Some young people I know, both men and women, seem to be comfortable using the F-word even on Facebook. This is probably okay given that you're doing this within your circle of friends but have you thought about what happens when you use obscenities in the workplace?

Let me quote from How To Sell Yourself, by Ray Grose (Mint published excerpts from the book yesterday):

Some people can be offended by cursing or foul language, even if they don’t show it. Even people who use such language with their peers may find your use of such language to be disrespectful to them if you are their team member or their superior.

Others may be offended because your use of such language shows that you may expect them not to be offended. Even if they might not find the actual language offensive they might find your expectation about their response presumptuous. Since such language can damage your image, and because there is no need for an articulate person to use it, avoid it.

So while you may consider it "natural" and "fun" to use foul language, you should also consider the damage it can do to your reputation at work. And, as Ray Grose points out, if you are an articulate person, you can easily express yourself well without resorting to pyrotechnics, if you know what I mean. So cut it out. Please.

How To Sell Yourself also has useful advice on other examples of inappropriate workplace behaviour. Read up to know what's wrong with correcting a subordinate at work; while gossiping how much is too much; and why power matters when it comes to flirting.

Go to "Mind your language, get your image right".

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely, Sir! I think using foul language at your workplace is unpardonable and undesirable. You need to keep up an image of yourself wherever you go, and you need to project yourself well at all times. I am quite aghast at the way some bosses use swear words at their employees when they don't perform well or don't live up to expectations. Besides using swear words at someone (a junior, peer, or superior) is a sign of disrespect to that person. Yes, we do get frustrated at times when there is too much to cope with, but we must learn to keep calm and not exhibit our anger in public. People around will respect us for this, and I believe that it is a remarkable thing if you can keep a check on your emotions when you are anywhere outside your home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very important article!

    Not all of us are fortunate enough to know when to draw the line between our professional life and our personal life.
    I have come across freshers who have trouble making this difference...

    ReplyDelete